Hazmat incident cleared on Madison's north side | News
A business was evacuated after a detection system reported the presence of a toxic and potentially explosive compound Wednesday morning.
Madison Fire Department spokeswoman Lori Wirth said the situation involved low levels of the compound arsine that was detected at company Alfalight at 1832 Wright Street after 8 a.m.
The company designs and manufactures high-power diode lasers for the industrial, defense, and telecommunications markets.
The source of the compound was identified and crews began clearing the scene after 10 a.m. Fire officials said a piece of equipment was not shut down properly.
The building?s ventilation system was used to clear the building of any residual gases leaked from the cylinders.
Roads in the area of Anderson and Wright streets were closed during the response.
Upcoming Events near Madison North
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Pregnant woman sexually assaulted in ?violent? home invasion
- National, city, school leaders to focus on out-of-school-time programs
- Police: Blood, shell casings found outside east Madison restaurant
- Man accused of stabbing girlfriend 29 times pleads guilty
- Police: Man punched woman in SUV, punctured tires